Friday 27 April 2007

all about washi

People often ask me questions about the kind of paper I use for my larger sized woodblock prints. In response I find myself going down a detailed conversational path about the wonders of washi, or Japanese handmade paper. There's an informative piece about washi on the website for an amazing looking shop called the Japanese Paper Place in Toronto. I really hope to be able go there some day and look at their collection of paper. So have a read of the washi article and discover how it's made, who uses it and why it's so strong. Even Japanese money (the notes) are made from washi! If you're ever in Kyoto there are washi shops around the centre of the city that you can visit. There's one on old Teramachi Dori and another near the corner of Shijo and Karasuma Dori. The paper in these places is so beautiful it will make you weep!

1 comment:

  1. Paper is one of those things - it really makes the difference doesn't it. There is no such thing as just paper, so I totally agree with you saying it's so beautiful it will make you weep. :) I remember discoviering different papers in artschool. I often thought the logos pressed into the papers were more beautiful than the paper - letterpress I think :) and I wished I could just have a whole sheet of soft pressed logo paper instead! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete