Friday 6 June 2008

chelsea, ny

The MoMA was great yesterday but somehow all those famous paintings just started to wash over me after a while, despite the gorgeous building and location. Today was different though. I saw the woodblock prints of Zhang Huan at Pace Prints in Chelsea and fell in love with his work (see his print above). His works are large in scale (the one above is 40 x 67 inches) which any printmaker will tell you is difficult to do. He also works quite loosely and it looks like he carves on very large, rough pieces of wood, giving his prints lots of texture. The print above is just beautiful. And being a dragonfly devotee I was especially taken with it.

Finding the International Print Center New York was quite complicated as it's tucked away inside a massive building near the water in Chelsea. Once there I was extra happy because they had an interesting show on plus they had a flyer with a list of print galleries in New York for me to take home :) Do you know how hard it is to find print galleries amongst all those glossy, big scale painting and sculpture galleries? Not easy.

And for ceramic lovers I found Kai Tsujimura's work at Ippodo Gallery in Chelsea also. Kai's fragile, earthy ceramics and this gallery were lovely to discover because I developed quite an appetite for Japanese ceramics while living in Kyoto.

And finally a snippet of the view from a window at the MoMA. I still think you have to go there if you're in NY. The collection of all those big names in one museum is quite mind blowing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kylie,
    I'm glad you're finding some print venues. Sorry about the heat last week. This week is definitely better.

    ReplyDelete