Friday 1 May 2009

carving the floors

I am completely awestruck by the sheer size of some people's vision. This project is grand. It's called 'Carving the Floors' and is about a group of college printmaking students in Brunswick, Maine (USA) who set the ambitious aim of carving up the wooden floors of 2 classrooms in a soon to be demolished high school and then print off them. They wanted to do all this in 20 wee hours!!!! All I could think about is how difficult it would be to carve into floors with old varnish on them. You can read and see more here. Thanks to printinteresting for leading me there.

5 comments:

  1. That is incredible! What an amazing feat. Thanks for sharing this find.

    And thanks too for your comment re: Moyou coming to Melbourne. It would be lovely to see you one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea, something about the grand scale of it is very appealing.. Do you think they printed on floor sized sheets of paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete - I think they printed on big sheets, but not floor sized ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This stuff is the juice of life :) May I share a link with you? I have a similar response to this work by Valerie Salez, Canada. I knew Val years ago - she's an amazing woman...
    http://www.wooloo.org/valeriesalez/s3Template.php?p=1&id=8258

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - that link is amazing - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete