Saturday 12 September 2009

all stitched up

This post is a bit of a show and tell because I've made my first skirt ever! And what's more surprising is I even like it :) It's made from very dark light-weight denim with a very simple pattern that falls just below the knee. But it does have a zip! This is a big deal as it took 5 goes on crappy fabric for me to get it right. I patiently unpicked the mistakes very time to re-use the zip until I finally understood how to do it properly. I listened to about 4 podcasts from craft sanity while I was sewing so I had good company. The skirt's not finished yet as I plan to screen print either hanabi or dragonflies on the front of it when I get around to repairing my silk screen after it spontaneously burst 2 nights ago. I think this top from Queen (swoon) looks perfect with it.

Edit a few hours later: I printed hanabi on the skirt (see 2nd pic). It took 3 layers of red to get it to stand out like that on the denim because it's so dark. I was saved by Jezze's innovative credit card method of screen printing.

10 comments:

  1. mmmmm that skirt looks terrific with hanabi on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks Priya. First time and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Skirt looks fantastic. The patience with the zip must have paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so great with the hanabi - wonderful! and well done to be so patient with the trial and error making the skirt - i really, rally admire that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! Well done on the zip and persevering - they can be sooo frustrating, but once you've learned you can do it easily next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. Zips are hard and I'm an old hand at them. Loving the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey well done with the sewing, I am just beginning to sew too, after always thinking it was other sewing kind of girls that do that sort of thing.....but now its me and I too am super pleased with my efforts!. Well done on the zip, and that skirt is gorgeous. Wear it with pride!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey this looks fabulous! And the print is perfect! So much nicer than what you see in the shops.

    ReplyDelete