Friday 5 February 2010

hozuki love

I think I'm starting to get my printing mojo back. It's been missing a bit these last few months and I think it's because I've had so much writing to do for my other work that all my creative energy was going in that direction. So no mojo left for printmaking. But lately I've been getting out my tools and playing again. This makes me so happy.

Tonight I tested this screen print design. I hand cut the design on drafting film and did this wee test run on a scrap of natural cotton/linen blend. The design draws from a previous woodblock print of mine called 'hozuki', or Chinese Lantern plant in English. I think these plants are an exquisite, magical gift from nature. This lovely pic of one below is from jam343 on flickr.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're getting back into printing! That plant is lovely - reminds me of one I've also been fascinated with recently, the Cape Gooseberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing looking plant - never seen anything like it - very beautiful- and I love your printed interpretation - more time for printing is a good idea and great creative release:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kylie, you sure have got your printing mojo back!
    These organic shapes are so so beautiful, really suit the medium of textile printing. i think these are very exciting designs .. you should look into getting fabric runs done .. let someone else do the hand printing, if you can bare to surrender this. These are just divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your lovely feedback everyone. It feels nice to get grubby again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an amazing plant! how wonderful to be getting into your printing and getting the mojo back:) we all love to see your prints, so happy days for everyone desu ne!

    ReplyDelete